Who we are
We are one of the country’s leading Canadian REITs and, importantly, we’re community minded and committed to helping build the future of sustainable real estate. We hire people who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Being supported in your professional development, having your contributions and unique talents valued, feeling a sense of challenge and purpose, and being surrounded by a highly engaged team that loves what they do are just a few of the reasons to join our growing team.
Reporting to the Vice President, Construction East, this role leads and manages Central Canada construction projects including new developments, tenant improvements, capital projects and mixed-use re-developments across Crombie’s Central Canadian Portfolio, while overseeing a regional team of employees. Additional duties of the Director, Construction include but are not limited to:
- Partners with senior leadership to help develop strategic, long term plans for the organization, supporting the implementation of the strategy as it relates to construction.
- Supervises JV partner construction planning and execution.
- Supports the development, leasing and operational teams to provide design and construction feedback needed to advance new projects, including multiple new and renovation construction projects within the Central Canadian portfolio.
- Manages and directs a team for all Central design and construction projects up to and including project completion.
- Builds and develops a highly effective team to support future talent needs within the organization.
- Ensures the timely preparation/distribution of construction status reporting requirements, providing updates to the relevant stakeholders as required.
- Prepares project cost and expenditure statements and forecasts at regular intervals.
- Prepares project schedules as required to determine project durations and monitor construction status
- Leads the communication of information during the design and construction of a project between design/construction team members, internal departments, and various stakeholders involved in each project.
- Assists with the review of consultant drawings to ensure errors and/or omissions are addressed prior to construction commencement.
- Works collaboratively with the Construction, Leasing, Development, and Property Management teams in costing, preparation of tenders, awarding of work, and execution of TIs, CAPEX, LUIs, and Development projects.
- Provides input and assistance with contract negotiation and effective utilization of internal or external estimators to ensure compliance with budget requirements.
- Completes and/or ensures consistent and regular onsite inspections to ensure all projects and contractors meet federal, provincial and municipal codes, health and safety standards.
- Leads and collaborates between departments to ensure alignment on regional and national initiatives.
- Ensures excellent tenant relations by providing excellent management service through knowledge, practice, and exceptional customer service.
- Monitors, delegates, and evaluates workload and projects against department capabilities.
- Other special projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of seven years' construction experience in retail and/or mixed-use construction management projects, with a University degree in civil engineering, construction or building science, in addition to a PEng and/or PMP Certification. Experience in multi-residential construction management projects is an asset. Candidates must demonstrate exemplary organizational, analytical and problem-solving abilities with attention to detail as well as solid and proven leadership skills and interpersonal skills that support strong internal and external relationships and collaboration.
Headquartered in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, we hire people across the country who are passionate about real estate, growing their communities, and who are committed to our values. Crombie REIT offers flexible work schedules and location, corporate discount rates and a fast-paced working environment.
All applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter to:
Subject: Director, Construction